If and when we have KFC I always have the crispy strips. Since having my Thermomix I have been scrolling the recipe community everyday. So many recipes I want to try, so when I spotted this recipe I definitely wanted to try it.
Can be made without the aid of a thermie. Just use a food processor to grind down the herbs/spices. I have converted the flour for your convenience if you don’t own one.
Homemade KFC Crispy Strips
2 tbsp salt
1.5 tbsp black peppercorns
1.5 tbsp dried onion flakes
1.5 tbsp dried garlic flakes
1 tbsp dried rosemary
1/2 tbsp dried basil
1/2 tbsp paprika
1/2 tbsp dried oregano
1/2 tbsp mustard seeds (yellow) (Or use mustard powder)
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp dried taragon
350g (or 1 and a half cups if not using a thermie)
2 chicken breasts, cut into strips
2 eggs, beaten in a bowl
oil for frying
- Place all spices/herbs into your thermie/food processor. Blitz for 30 seconds (Speed 10 for Thermie) Repeat. You are wanting a fine grind.
- Add flour and blitz for 20 seconds (Speed 10 for Thermie)
- Pour 1/3 of the flour mix into a large bowl
- Coat chicken in egg, then flour. Repeat. (This is what makes them crispy)
- Place oil in a fry pan on a medium heat. You need enough oil to shallow fry your chicken
- Fry a few strips at a time, do not overload your pan
- Fry until cooked through, time will vary on the size of your strips
- Drain on paper towel
You can use buttermilk in replace of the eggs. Rice flour can replace the plain flour, but results will differ slightly.
The flour mixture is enough for 3 full meal, can be stored in an air tight container (Which is why the recipe states only use 1/3 of the mix)
Recipe from The Road To Loving My Thermo Mixer